Saturday 31 May 2014

Chrome Bumper Conversion:

It was always my aim to covert the Mg to chrome bumpers. I chose a rubber bumper model originally because they are so much easier to convert to the Rover V8. But I don't like the rubber bumpers so they will have to go.


The front chassis ends are modified to make room for the new Grille.


 
New lower front springs purchased to bring the front down to Chrome Bumper height (1.5 inches).
The rear suspension will also have to be lowered, I am looking at the various options available to me.

This is the Rubber to Chrome bumper conversion kit, which included most things that you need to make the change over.  

 This was a test fit of the new honeycombe grille. It doesn't fit, not by a long way, these reproduction parts are the wrong shape, and bend outwards on the corners. I will have to modify it somewhat.
The rear spring hangers were severely corroded, so I decided to replace them with chrome bumper spring hangers, which will also reduce the rear ride height. Also giving the added benefit of being able to the correct chrome bumper brackets.  



 I also discovered that the rear spring front hangers had some corrosion on them, so I made the decision to replaced theses as well, with those for a chrome bumper MGB, which.


 
 Here I am cutting away the addition chassis section that the factory fitted to lower the bump stop for the rubber bumper cars.
The finished bump stop, now at the correct height for a chrome bumper MGB

 I have decided to start again on the front bumper mounting modifications. The adapter bracket that comes in the conversion kit bolts to the remains of the rubber bumper bracket, I am not happy with the look of it and have decided to fit the proper chrome bumper brackets, this means cutting back the front chassis ends and making a captive nut bracket for the bolts to go into.


The filler piece is made and a captive nut welded on the back, I have left a slot in it to allow for the bumper bracket nuts to be slid into the chassis.

As the ride height will be lower, as well as the work I have done on the rear bump stop, the fronts will also have to be modified. You can buy shorter bump stops from Moss, but being the tight arse that I am, I decided to make my own. 

 This is the original rubber bumper bump stop (without the alluminium spacers).


Here is the shortened version, with about 1/2 inch cut out, and ready for welding.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment