Saturday 9 November 2013

Cutting out the inner wings for the RV8 exhaust manifolds/headers.

I chose to go with the RV8 manifolds in preference to the block hugger type, because they are more efficient and the holes help with cooling the engine bay.

No template was supplied with the manifolds, I guess that's because each installation is slightly different, this made it difficult to know where to make the holes. So I measured the manifolds and made a mark where the center of the exhaust outlet pipe is. then made a rough hole with a Jigsaw.


 Broke a few blades cutting the holes, due to the angle and curves.


I chose a Clive Wheatley stainless steel exhaust system, because of his reputation for quality, and the manifolds certainly look well made and fit the engine nicely. 


I will tidy up the edge of the holes when the engine comes back out again, which it will have to, to paint the engine bay.

 I have made the decision to reinforce the exhaust openings in the wings, although I dont think it totally necessary, I do think it will look better and also keep the MOT people happy.
I made a cardboard template and then them out of new sheet metal, which I will then shape and weld into place.

Once the shapes were cut out with the jigsaw, I shaped them to match the inner wing profiles and then plug welded them into place. 


Saved around £120 by making them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment